Indianapolis… Daily downloads of the NextRadio® app have increased by more than 50% since the launch of the radio industry-wide advertising campaign to create consumer awareness around the NextRadio app and FreeRadioOnMyPhone.org. NextRadio is a free smartphone app that combines local FM radio broadcast with the internet to create a visually engaging, interactive artist and advertising experience.
“NAB is a strong advocate for free, FM radio capability in mobile phones, and we’re pleased with the industry support and initial results of NextRadio’s nationwide radio campaign. This campaign is the fruition of leaders in the radio business working together to provide listeners with an exciting new broadcast radio experience that is dependable in times of emergency and providers the interactivity listeners seek.” NAB President and CEO Gordon Smith.
On February 23, 2015 NextRadio joined with the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) to launch a nationwide over-the-air radio campaign promoting FM chip activation in all smartphones. Radio stations across the U.S. were given pre-produced spots that aired approximately 20 times a week per station. The campaign was such a success stations are being asked to continue to run the commercials and are being provided fresh spots based on station feedback.
“We have been very encouraged by the results of the commercials and have seen tens of thousands of consumers take action to let their wireless carriers know they want FM activated on their smartphones. It is great to see the radio industry working together to drive these incredible results,” said Paul Brenner, President of NextRadio/TagStation. “As we meet with carriers, they keep telling us they are glad to see the radio industry promoting itself and demonstrating our own influence through mass media.”
The goal of the campaign is to educate millions of radio listeners to download NextRadio to enjoy free, local FM radio on their smartphones, or to ask radio listeners to visit FreeRadioOnMyPhone.org to add their voices to the growing demand for wireless carriers to unlock free FM radio in the smartphones they sell.
Here are some initial results*:
- Daily Downloads of the NextRadio app increased 53% since the start of the radio campaign
- 256,003 new NextRadio users since radio campaign launch
- Average of 17 minutes per listening session by NextRadio listeners
- Average number of listener interactions (purchasing a song, going to a website, posting) with a song is 4%. Some artists are getting some incredible engagement number, here are a few worth mentioning:
- 8.6% Luke Bryan, Drunk On You
- 7.5% O.T. Genasis, CoCo
- 6.0% Nicki Minaj/Beyoncé, Feeling Myself
- 4.7% Hozier, Take Me To Church
- 4.4% John Legend, All of Me
- 411,261 visitors to freeradioonmyphone.org taking action and contacting their wireless carrier asking them to activate the FM Chip in their phone
- Google Play ranks NextRadio as 8th out of 500 music apps
We have seen tremendous interest in the new app and will be hosting a conference call with Jeff Smulyan, Chairman, President and CEO of Emmis to share more insights, results and details on where NextRadio is heading. The call will take place on April 7, 2015 at 1 to 2 p.m. EST, use this link to register https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2755831702406830082